Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Mission Statement: To provide support and assistance to all Veterans through community outreach.
FREE LEGAL CLINIC FOR VETERANS
Volunteer attorneys provide advice, brief service and referrals to veterans and service members in the
community who cannot afford or are unsure if they need a lawyer.
Does not assist with VA Disability Benefits - but will provide referral.
Hours: 6 PM - 7:30 PM first Wednesday of the month
The pro-bono legal consultation by the Volunteer Lawyer Project has been cancelled for May 15. It will still be held on June 19, and every third Wednesday of the month thereafter.
Syracuse Vet Center
109 Pine Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Clear Path For Veterans Classes and Opportunities
K9 MINGLE CLASSES
Puppy Class - 9:15 a.m. Every Saturday
WOOD CARVING WITH NORM ALTMAN
Every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon. All materials are provided and no experience is necessary.
You do not need to register for wood carving.
PROJECT HEALING WATERS
9 AM to NOON second and fourth Fridays
Clear Path MAJOR EVENTS FOR 2019
VETERANS LEGAL CLINIC - My 15
MOTHER'S DAY BRUNCH - May 12
VETERANS TRIP TO EVERSON MUSEUM OF ART - May 17
VA HOME BUYER COURSE - May 18
WWII & KOREAN WAR VETERANS APPRECIATION DAY - May 23
Wingman Monthly Meeting - May 30, 6PM
RED, WHITE & BLUE BARBECUE - June 15
TOUR de CLEAR PATH - July 7
OFFSITE: WARRIOR CLASSIC at SHENENDOAH (TURNING STONE) - Aug. 19
AFFILIATE CUP - Sept. 14
RIDE FOR CLEAR PATH - Sept. 29
VAN TRANSPORT TO CANTEEN
Thanks to funding from Madison County, Clear Path for Veterans now sports a 12-passenger van to aid in bringing Veterans to our main facility located just outside Chittenango on Salt Springs Road. Starting in January, we will be traveling in Onondaga County the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. The following are our scheduled routes to transport Veterans to our Wednesday Canteen:
Pickups on the SECOND and FOURTH Wednesdays in Onondaga County:
9:30 a.m.: Behavioral Health Clinic (620 Erie Bldv. West)
9:50 a.m.: Syracuse VA Medical Center (meet at the flags at the main entrance)
10:10 a.m.: The Vet Center (109 Pine St.)
10:25 a.m.: VanKeuren Square Apartments (2223 E. Genesee St.)
The van will depart Clear Path for Veterans at 1 p.m. for the return trip.
Call Clear Path at (315) 687-3300 to sign up for a ride.
PURCHASES AT AMAZON SUPPORT CLEAR PATH
If you shop on Amazon this holiday season, please choose Clear Path for Veterans as your beneficiary for your Amazon Smile donation. The Amazon Smile Foundation will donate 0.5 percent of the purchase price from your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to Clear Path. To sign up - it does not cost anything and does not change your Amazon experience - visit http://smile.amazon.com to link your account, then search for Clear Path For Veterans.
SMILE SOLUTIONS HOSTS DENTAL DAY FOR VETERANS
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Smile Solutions (118 South Main St., Canastota) is hosting its annual Dental Day for Veterans. Drs. Dorothy and Juan Kassab and their staff will provide a choice of complimentary dental services to Veterans, including dental cleaning, filling, and routine extraction of a tooth. Services are by appointment only, so please call (315) 697-9287 to schedule your appointment.
Move Along, Inc. Wheelchair Basketball Program
Move Along, Inc.'s Wheelchair Basketball Program returns to our courts on Wednesday, May 15 for its 2019 summer season. These practice sessions and weekly scrimmages are open to the public - from beginners to experienced players of all ages and abilities - and run 6-8 p.m. every Wednesday through Aug. 28. Equipment is provided for those who need it. The program is weather dependent. If there is the chance of inclement weather, check the Move Along, Inc. Facebook page for last minute cancellations. For more information, visit the Move Along website.
SYRACUSE METS HOST ARMED FORCES DAY
Join us at the Syracuse Mets for Armed Forces Day on May 18. Every year, the Mets set aside a game to honor the men and women of the U.S. military and our Upstate New York Veterans. Military members receive complimentary GA tickets to any game during the regular season, and the first 1,000 fans at this game will receive a Family Day Pennant as well as a Tim Tebow bobblehead presented by Lockheed Martin. Fans will also be able to meet WWE Champ Sgt. Slaughter.
The game starts at 1:05 p.m. and pits the Mets against the Columbus Clippers.
Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Services
Outreach Coordinator: Cyntheia Meili
Pictures of current military banners coming soon!
VVA Chapter 103 Memorial Day Watchfire
The next Watchfire is scheduled for Sunday, May 26th, 2019 in the Veterans Memorial Watchfire Park, New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY. The Watchfire ceremony and lighting of the pyre commence at dusk, but do go earlier to get a good spot! Food and drink vendors will be on-site.
TOUR GUIDES WANTED
The Onondaga County Veterans Advisory Council is seeking volunteers to become Tour Guides for the
War Memorial Military Exhibits. If interested, please contact Rich Purcell, Syracuse Vet center, 315-478-7127
BOXING CLASSES FOR VETERANS
DC Boxing/Carroll Boxing is offering free boxing classes to all military Veterans. The free classes are offered on Monday and Friday evenings from 6-7 p.m. DC Boxing is located at 308 Tompkins St., Syracuse, and is a USA Boxing-certified gym. You can sign up by calling gym owner Darin Carroll at (315) 418-6574, or stop in during the boxing class.
MENTAL HEALTH AND SUICIDE PREVENTION
• If a Veteran you know is immediately at risk for suicide, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1; chat online at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat or text to 838255 for free, 24/7 confidential support.
• Share a self-check quiz to help a Veteran assess whether mental health treatment would be beneficial by sharing the link to www.VetSelfCheck.org.
• If you know a Veteran facing homelessness, connect them with support by contacting the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-424-3838.
• If you know a Veteran or a member of a Veteran’s family who is homeless or at risk of being homeless residing in central or eastern New York, contact Soldier On’s Supportive Services for Veterans Families program at 1-866-406-8449.
• If you are concerned a Veteran you know may be misusing alcohol, opioids or other drugs, encourage them to take a confidential assessment and learn about effective treatments at www.mentalhealth.va.gov/substanceabuse.asp.
• If you believe that a Veteran needs more social interaction, invite them to a Canteen lunch (pictured) held every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. here at Clear Path.
• If you know a Veteran struggling to feed themselves or their family, contact Clear Path’s Peer Mentor program at (315) 687-3300 for a confidential allocation of food from Clear Path’s food pantry.
• If you know a Veteran who is ready for but struggling to find employment, contact Clear Path’s WarriorsWorking program at (315) 687-3300 – and ask for Heidi.
• If a Veteran has not found adequate pain management through traditional medical practices, we encourage them to compliment those practices with our multi-faceted wellness approach that includes Integrative Medicine, such as Polarity, Reiki and Auricular Acupuncture. Call our front desk at (315) 687-3300 to schedule an appointment.
Town of Elbridge
5 Route 31, P.O. Box 568, Jordan, New York 13080