TOUR GUIDES WANTED
The Onondaga County Veterans Advisory Council is seeking volunteers to become Tour Guides for the
War Memorial Military Exhibits. If interested, please contact Rich Purcell, Syracuse Vet center, 315-478-7127
BOXING CLASSES FOR VETERANS
DC Boxing/Carroll Boxing is offering free boxing classes to all military Veterans. The free classes are offered on Monday and Friday evenings from 6-7 p.m. DC Boxing is located at 308 Tompkins St., Syracuse, and is a USA Boxing-certified gym. You can sign up by calling gym owner Darin Carroll at (315) 418-6574, or stop in during the boxing class.
MENTAL HEALTH AND SUICIDE PREVENTION
• If a Veteran you know is immediately at risk for suicide, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1; chat online at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat or text to 838255 for free, 24/7 confidential support.
• Share a self-check quiz to help a Veteran assess whether mental health treatment would be beneficial by sharing the link to www.VetSelfCheck.org.
• If you know a Veteran facing homelessness, connect them with support by contacting the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-424-3838.
• If you know a Veteran or a member of a Veteran’s family who is homeless or at risk of being homeless residing in central or eastern New York, contact Soldier On’s Supportive Services for Veterans Families program at 1-866-406-8449.
• If you are concerned a Veteran you know may be misusing alcohol, opioids or other drugs, encourage them to take a confidential assessment and learn about effective treatments at www.mentalhealth.va.gov/substanceabuse.asp.
• If you believe that a Veteran needs more social interaction, invite them to a Canteen lunch (pictured) held every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. here at Clear Path.
• If you know a Veteran struggling to feed themselves or their family, contact Clear Path’s Peer Mentor program at (315) 687-3300 for a confidential allocation of food from Clear Path’s food pantry.
• If you know a Veteran who is ready for but struggling to find employment, contact Clear Path’s WarriorsWorking program at (315) 687-3300 – and ask for Heidi.
• If a Veteran has not found adequate pain management through traditional medical practices, we encourage them to compliment those practices with our multi-faceted wellness approach that includes Integrative Medicine, such as Polarity, Reiki and Auricular Acupuncture. Call our front desk at (315) 687-3300 to schedule an appointment.
May 1 - September 29 : Mon - Thurs 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Fri 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Mission Statement:
To provide support and assistance to all Veterans through community outreach.
Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Services
Outreach Coordinator: Cyntheia Meili
FREE LEGAL CLINIC FOR VETERANS
Volunteer attorneys provide advice, brief service and referrals to veterans and service members in the
community who cannot afford or are unsure if they need a lawyer.
Does not assist with VA Disability Benefits - but will provide referral.
Hours: 6 PM - 7:30 PM first Wednesday of the month
The pro-bono legal consultation by the Volunteer Lawyer Project will still be every third Wednesday of the month.
Syracuse Vet Center
109 Pine Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
QUILTERS SOUGHT FOR 'QUILTS OF HONOR' PROGRAM
Attention all quilters: The "One Stitch at a Time" Quilting Group is looking for volunteers to make lap-size quilts for its Quilts of Honor Program. This program honors WWII and Korean War Veterans in the Central New York area. It honored some of these Veterans in 2018, and the presentation of the quilts was very rewarding and the Veterans were very emotional as the quilts were presented to them. It was truly a heart-warming event for everyone involved. It would like to continue to honor more WWII and Korean War Veterans in 2019, but it needs more quilters to volunteer to make these lap-size quilts. If you would like to assist them in this very important endeavor, please contact Trish Kane atBobTrish68@twc.com or leave a message at (607) 674-9656.
Clear Path For Veterans Classes and Opportunities
K9 MINGLE CLASSES
Puppy Class - 9:15 a.m. Every Saturday
WOOD CARVING WITH NORM ALTMAN
Every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon. All materials are provided and no experience is necessary.
You do not need to register for wood carving.
PROJECT HEALING WATERS
9 AM to NOON second and fourth Fridays
Clear Path MAJOR EVENTS FOR 2019
VAN TRANSPORT TO CANTEEN
Thanks to funding from Madison County, Clear Path for Veterans now sports a 12-passenger van to aid in bringing Veterans to our main facility located just outside Chittenango on Salt Springs Road. Starting in January, we will be traveling in Onondaga County the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. The following are our scheduled routes to transport Veterans to our Wednesday Canteen:
Pickups on the SECOND and FOURTH Wednesdays in Onondaga County:
9:30 a.m.: Behavioral Health Clinic (620 Erie Bldv. West)
9:50 a.m.: Syracuse VA Medical Center (meet at the flags at the main entrance)
10:10 a.m.: The Vet Center (109 Pine St.)
10:25 a.m.: VanKeuren Square Apartments (2223 E. Genesee St.)
The van will depart Clear Path for Veterans at 1 p.m. for the return trip.
Call Clear Path at (315) 687-3300 to sign up for a ride.
PURCHASES AT AMAZON SUPPORT CLEAR PATH
If you shop on Amazon this holiday season, please choose Clear Path for Veterans as your beneficiary for your Amazon Smile donation. The Amazon Smile Foundation will donate 0.5 percent of the purchase price from your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to Clear Path. To sign up - it does not cost anything and does not change your Amazon experience - visit http://smile.amazon.com to link your account, then search for Clear Path For Veterans.