Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Services
Outreach Coordinator: Cyntheia C. Meili
For more information on events call Cindy Meili 315-572-7439
Scholarship America and Wells Fargo are pleased to announce the launch of the 2018 Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship and Wells Fargo Veterans Emergency Grant programs, designed to help veterans complete the postsecondary education or training they need to return to -- and succeed in -- civilian life and work. We need your help to spread the word.
The Wells Fargo Veterans Scholarship Program provides scholarships up to $7,000 per year, to fill gaps for veterans and the spouses of disabled veterans after military benefits and other grants and scholarships have been utilized. To help recipients focus on completing their degree, these scholarships are renewable, and award amounts will grow by $1,000 each year. The deadline to apply is February 28.
Wells Fargo’s emergency grant program helps veterans already enrolled in postsecondary education meet their household expenses when faced with unexpected financial setbacks. Ranging up to $1,000, these immediate, one-time grants are designed to keep recipients in school without creating undue financial hardship.
As a Dollars for Scholars volunteer, you’re in a unique position to reach out to veterans, students and supporters in your community. Both programs are accessible via scholarshipamerica.org/wellsfargoveterans, and will be linked in the “Student Opportunities” section of your website. Please take a moment to share the link with veterans, military families and veterans’ organizations in your hometown, so we can ensure that they get the help they need.
Upcoming Schedule from Clear Path for Veterans
K9 MINGLE ANNOUNCES UPCOMING CLASSES
Upcoming dates on our K9 Mingle schedule include:
Puppy Class - 10 a.m. every Saturday (except holiday weekends)
Basic I - 5:30 p.m. Dec. 1
Focus Module - 6:15-7:45 p.m. Dec. 4
Body Language - 6:15-7:45 p.m. Dec. 11
Basic II - 6 p.m. Dec. 14
About K9 Mingle: This membership program provides Veterans and community members the opportunity to take part in foundation and novelty classes, informative modules and unique workshops. Through this membership you are supporting Clear Path for Veterans' mission; you will gain exposure to Clear Path's programs and services; and you will have numerous opportunities to socialize with other community and Veteran dog lovers in a variety of useful training and informational events.
CHOOSE CLEAR PATH FOR AMAZON SMILE
As you shop on Amazon this holiday season, please choose Clear Path for Veterans as your beneficiary for your Amazon Smile donation. The Amazon Smile Foundation will donate 0.5 percent of the purchase price from your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to Clear Path. (Most purchases are eligible for AmazonSmile; recurring subscribe-and-save purchases and subscription renewals are not currently eligible.) To sign up - it does not cost anything and does not change your Amazon experience - visit http://smile.amazon.com to link your account, then search for Clear Path For Veterans.
2018 MEGA MURPH VENDOR/SPONSOR INFORMATION NOW AVAILABLE
Organizations and companies in health, fitness or military industries interested in participating in our 2018 Mega Murph can now find information about onsite sponsorship and our vendor village by clicking here.
Recurring events at Clear Path:
CANTEEN - 11 AM to 1 PM Wednesdays
WOOD CARVING - 9 AM to Noon Wednesdays
PROJECT HEALING WATERS - 9 AM to NOON second and fourth Fridays
Clear Path for Veterans | (315) 687-3300 | www.ClearPathForVets.com
Feed Our Vets - http://www.feedourvets.org/veterans-resource-page/
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention has updated its Veteran Suicide Data Sheet for New York, release on Sept. 15 (https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/docs/data-sheets/Suicide-Data-Sheet-New-York.pdf). An average of 20 Veterans die by suicide each day. Although Veterans constitute 8.5 percent of the U.S. population, they account for 18 percent of all deaths by suicide among U.S. adults.
One alarming finding is New York state: The overall suicide rate is 10.6 (standard unadjusted mortality rate per 100,000 people). The overall national suicide rate is 17.0. But New York’s Veterans suicide rate is nearly three times New York’s overall rate and nearly double the national rate: 29.1.
Clear Path for Veterans is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that acts as a single point of contact for Veterans, military members and their families by engaging, supporting and making it easy for them to connect with what they need while committing to providing a welcoming place to call home. To that end, we offer these suggestions to help prevent suicide among our Veterans:
• If a Veteran you know is immediately at risk for suicide, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1; chat online at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat or text to 838255 for free, 24/7 confidential support.
• Share a self-check quiz to help a Veteran assess whether mental health treatment would be beneficial by sharing the link to www.VetSelfCheck.org.
• If you know a Veteran facing homelessness, connect them with support by contacting the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-424-3838.
• If you know a Veteran or a member of a Veteran’s family who is homeless or at risk of being homeless residing in central or eastern New York, contact Soldier On’s Supportive Services for Veterans Families program at 1-866-406-8449.
• If you are concerned a Veteran you know may be misusing alcohol, opioids or other drugs, encourage them to take a confidential assessment and learn about effective treatments at www.mentalhealth.va.gov/substanceabuse.asp.
• If you believe that a Veteran needs more social interaction, invite them to a Canteen lunch (pictured) held every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. here at Clear Path.
• If you know a Veteran struggling to feed themselves or their family, contact Clear Path’s Peer Mentor program at (315) 687-3300 for a confidential allocation of food from Clear Path’s food pantry.
• If you know a Veteran who is ready for but struggling to find employment, contact Clear Path’s WarriorsWorking program at (315) 687-3300 – and ask for Heidi.
• If a Veteran has not found adequate pain management through traditional medical practices, we encourage them to compliment those practices with our multi-faceted wellness approach that includes Integrative Medicine, such as Polarity, Reiki and Auricular Acupuncture. Call our front desk at (315) 687-3300 to schedule an appointment.
Onondaga Veterans Services - http://www.ongov.net/veterans/index.html
Clear Path for Veterans Calendar -http://www.clearpath4vets.com/calender
VFW Youth Scholarship - https://www.vfw.org/VOD/
DO YOU KNOW A VETERAN THAT IS IN NEED OF A WHEELCHAIR?? The Skaneateles American Legion Post 239 has a Motorized and Manual Wheelchair that are available for use. Please fill out the form below by 18JUNE17 and email email@example.com
A Letter from the Town of Elbridge Veterans Outreach Coordinator
Town of Elbridge Veterans and Family Members,
I am honored at the privilege of being recently selected to represent you as our town's Veterans Services Outreach Coordinator. I am enthusiastic at the opportunity to work with our town officials to help improve communication and access to the many different programs available to assist our veterans and their families, as well as be the conduit in which you can express your concerns and provide suggestions on how to improve the quality of life for those who have, or continue to serve our great nation. In the coming weeks, I will be reaching out via public venues in our community and soliciting suggestions on what our Town Board representatives can do to assist the veterans of the Town of Elbridge. My initial plan is to begin working with local town, county, state and national veteran service organizations to ensure the widest dissemination of information about programs that are available to assist our veterans. Along with this I am dedicated to assisting all of you in order to ensure you have a complete understanding of not only the programs available, but also how to properly accomplish the required actions to take advantage of the benefits and privileges you have earned. Please ensure you check this website periodically for updates and I will be working to establish additional forms of outreach in order to effectively communicate the progress we are making to serve our veterans. Please feel free to contact me directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone 315-572-7439 with any suggestions, or if you would like to volunteer and contribute to helping the veterans of the Town of Elbridge.
Cyntheia C. Meili
Town of Elbridge
5 Route 31, P.O. Box 568, Jordan, New York 13080