Renewals are mailed out annually in the fall. Those that do not renew by March 1st will lose their exemption for the coming assessment roll year. When you receive your renewal application you may bring in all your information at that time for the following year. If there were extenuating circumstances as to why you did not file on time you will need to write a statement as to the reasoning as well as complete form RP-524 for grievance that needs to be filed with our office the week prior to grievance for that year.


Please call our office to schedule an appointment for either Informal or Grievance Hearings.

Any owner contesting their assessment that has recently purchased or is currently listing their property should bring the MLS listing, signed purchase agreement, property appraisal and any additional pertinent information available. For all others, please provide any useful information for the basis of your claim including photographs, street listings, comparisons. or an appraisal that was done within the past three years. All information will become the property of the Town of Elbridge and will be kept confidential.

We ask that any commercial properties supply an income and expense statement or business income tax returns as they will be requested for grievance.

Grievance forms need to be completed and returned prior to grievance day to receive an appointment time.

Walk-ins will still be accepted and scheduled by the grievance board on that day.


The Assessing year is from July 1st to June 30th. Throughout the year property owners can come in and meet personally with the Assessor, by appointment, to discuss their property information. Our Taxable Status Date is March 1st [Exemption Application filing deadline]. From March 1st through to May 1st there are processes that the Assessor goes through in reviewing property assessments. A Tentative Assessment Roll is filed as of May 1st and notices are sent out to those property owners who’s Assessed Values have been changed. At that point and time, you can come in and meet with the Assessor while she is "Sitting with The Assessment Roll", that are on certain days at particular times. After that point is Grievance Day when you meet with the Board of Assessment Review (a panel of three to five members) and grieve your assessment to the Board, not the Assessor. The Assessor or the Assessor’s representative will be on hand for the Assessment Board to ask questions of him/her if needed. Once the Assessment Board hears all grievances they go into a closed session and make their determinations. Within a couple of weeks, you will receive a notice from the Board of Assessment Review as to whether they upheld the Assessor's determination of assessment or if they adjusted the assessment. Beyond Grievance is the Small Claims Hearing (see Small Claims on NYST&F website) for residential properties, your last stop. [NOTE: You cannot go to Small Claims if you have not gone through your Town's Grievance process.] You would need to file a Petition at the County Clerk's Office, as well as copies to other offices, see Small Claims instructions.


If you need to change your current mailing address on a parcel you own, please complete the form and mail it to us showing the property(ies) address(es) and parcel ID[s] needing to be changed with your dated signature requesting us to update your mailing address, etc. If this is a Business owned property, please do this on your Company’s letterhead with an authorizing signature. If you have a name change you will need to submit a certified legal document allowing the name change. (Form in left column)


The Office is responsible to maintain, update and record any changes to over 3,000 parcels. Your value or assessment is available online at Onondaga County's website , along with current sales that have occurred in your area. The County's website also offers comparable sales information, grievance forms and information (RP-524) as well as copies of tax maps. To review any questions about your assessment information, appointments are available after January 1st to discuss concerns. Please call Penny Ceratt at 689-9031 x5 to schedule appointments.

If you are turning 65  this year, please contact the Assessor's Office prior  to  March  1st.


New Residential Property Owners (after 3/1/2015): New residing property owners that qualify can receive the benefit of a STAR Credit Check from New York State Taxation & Finance (NYST&F). In order to receive this benefit you must register with NYST&F by either calling them at 518/457-2036 or by registering on-line at Please be sure to either print-off or write down your confirmation number and keep it in a safe place.

STAR Exemption: The STAR Exemption is gradually being phased out, but for those that had the STAR Exemption for the same parcel prior to the 2016 assessment roll and are turning 65 within the calendar year or are older and your income is less than $86,300, you are still eligible to receive the Sr STAR Exemption, just contact our office before March 1st to apply.

To renounce any exemption you will need to file form RP-496 with our office for removal. This includes changing from the STAR Exemption to the STAR Credit. You need to file the form RP-496 with our office before you can file for the STAR Credit with NYS.


Our office processes various other types of exemptions. For more information and/or an application with instructions, call or stop in to the office.

To name a few of these exemptions they are:

  • Agricultural * • Sr STAR Exemption * (those still eligible)
  • Business • Veterans – Alternative (during time of war)
  • Disability/Limited Income * • Veterans – Cold War (not during time of war)
  • Senior Citizen Low Income * • Veterans Disability *
  • Solar 

Note: Sr STAR and Low Sr Citizen exemptions are not the same exemption, they are independent of each other.

* Exemptions that are renewed annually​​


Fax 315-689-3122


JE School Tax Bills

Assessment Roll 

Your Assessment/Current Sales/Onondaga County/Sales Info/Grievance Form/Tax Maps

Taxpayer Rights/STAR Credit Registration

Tax Bills 

(Select Property Tax Information and then Image Mate, Follow the screens)

Important Dates To Remember:

March 1st Taxable Status Date

March 1st Exemption Deadline

May 1st Tentative Assessment Roll Filed

2019 Sitting with the Assessment Roll (SWR):

Monday, May 13: 9am to 1pm Tuesday & Thursday, May 14 & 16: 12pm-4pm

Wednesday, May 15: 12-4pm & 5-7pm

Saturday, May 18: 10am-2pm

Please call the office to set-up an appointment time for SWR or Grievance.

2019 Grievance Day:

Wednesday, May 29th 4:00pm - 8:00pm

New York


Town Of Elbridge Assessing Office

Town Assessor: Celeste Karakas

Assessing Clerk: Penelope Ceratt
Phone:  315-689-9031 Ext. 5  ​​

New York

Town of 

Town of 



Fax 315-689-3122

5 Route 31 Jordan, NY 13080
P.O. Box 568

Municipal Building Hours:

September 30 - April 30 : Mon - Fri 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM

May 1 - September 29 : Mon - Thurs 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Fri 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM